Thursday, March 01, 2012

No Knead Sour Dough

I have made quite a few loaves of sourdough over the last year and a bit, most have been ok, a couple have been good, a few disasters, but none have been great. So I thought I would try some No Knead Sourdough. There are a few recipes out there based on the No Knead Bread from the New York Times. I have tried a few variations, some were too wet, some too dry so this is what works for me. I think it is worth experimenting as I think your starter and the flour you use can make a difference.

- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- 1 5/8 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 1/4 cups flour (I used a high protein white flour)

I made it exactly as the instructions in the No Knead Bread recipe. My mixture was too sticky to knead, but not too sticky to handle when you have to. It had risen beautifully after 12 hours.
This is definitely the best sourdough loaf I have made.


3 comments:

Jane said...

Looks great! I will send this on to my husband who was madly experimenting with sourdough a little while back but never got the texture and rising quite right, and now the starter is languishing in the back of the fridge :)

Margret said...

It looks beautiful, thanks for sharing. Pinning it now :)

Anonymous said...

Your bread came out fantastic. I made one too, but top got slightly over browned. Never mind we all ate it. Just found your blog today. I'm enjoying it.