Friday, June 26, 2015

Burda 8160

My winter coat for the last 12 winters has been a Mountain Design jacket, it is still going strong, but I thought it was time for something new. I really wanted a wool coat that was thigh length and had a hood. Finding a pattern was a little trickier than I thought. I though about the Cascade Duffle coat, but I had a black duffle coat in 1989. I also had stonewash jeans and bad hair and I don't need to go back there. I searched ebay and etsy and found the OOP Burda 8160.
I made a muslin and altered the arms and shoulders as I didn't want shoulder pads and cut quite a bit off the length.
 I used a wool blend from the stash which came from Spotlight a few years ago. I remember finding it on the sale rack and it was something ridiculous like $5 a metre. The lining is also from Spotlight.
 It is a well drafted pattern, the pockets are lined and worked really well and there are two piece sleeves which I always prefer in a jacket or coat.
 It is slightly big and I could easily have gone down a size, but I'm only wearing a t-shirt underneath so there is plenty of room for cardigans and jumpers.

Monday, June 22, 2015

Liberty Docs and Steam Punk Blocks

I had my sewing time all planned yesterday, everything was all set up to make myself a coat, but I couldn't get this idea out of my head. I had seen a little Japanese cross stitch of a boot and I immediately thought of making a Liberty Doc Marten so here it is.
I used some scraps of Liberty left over from making Olive a dress and the black is Sketch by Timeless Treasures.
It's freezing and cold today so back to making that coat.
I've finished my Steam Punk Blocks. I've just got to decide on the sashing fabric and I can sew them all together!

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Vests, Ottobre and a Linden

The vest on this Japanese sewing book has been on the to do list for a while. I pulled out the left over fabric from a jacket I made for Eva a few years ago and realized I had plenty for a vest for Olive and one for her cousin.
 This is a very easy pattern, there is just a front, back, collar and pocket. You make it in the outside fabric and then the lining, pin them together and bind all the edges.
I had just enough vintage fabric left from the Louisa dress to line and bind Olive's vest
I used Liberty to make the lining and binding on the other one and used snaps for both instead of buttons. I made the size 100cm, which is the smallest in the book. It's a little big for Olive, but it fits and there is plenty of room for her to grow.
 Eva chose this fabric the last time we were in Spotlight which was the week the latest Ottobre arrived. There was the perfect pants in there. I thought about trying to match the chevrons for about 2 seconds and realized that was never going to happen.
Eva loves these and has already asked for more.
I finally made myself a Linden sweatshirt. I used some cheap grey fabric (it might be French terry or something similar) and it turned out really well. I need to get some fabric to make more.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A Finished Crochet Blanket!

I have finally finished the crochet blanket I started nearly four years. When I picked it up the other night I hadn't touched it for about 9 month and I really thought I should get it done before my WIP list gets completely out of control. I started the last border and didn't stop until it was finished. I am glad it is finally done and Milly has been reading dragging it between the couch and her bed all week. More details on ravely.

I also made her this t-shirt she had spied in Ottobre 1/2015. I hadn't really noticed it when I flicked through, but Milly loved it, I am glad she did spy it as it was easy to make and turned out really well.

Monday, June 15, 2015

Happy Pants by Peach Patterns

My girls are getting bigger and it's getting a little harder to find good patterns for them, most patterns go up to 6 or 8 years so I was excited when Marina from Peach Patterns emailed to say she was designing patterns for older children!
I tested the Happy Pants for her and decided to make them for Eva in size 7. I used some soft corduroy and scraps of quilting cotton. Soft corduroy was perfect for them. They are a really relaxed fit and Eva says they are very comfortable. Marina has a great way of doing elastic which means the top and bottom elastic both sit really well and aren't annoying.

I love these round pockets they are a cute touch (they are a little low on my test version, they have been raised a bit in the final copy).

If you are looking for patterns for older girls definitely check out Peach Patterns, I can't wait to see what is coming next!

Friday, June 12, 2015

Quilters Companion Precuts

Quilters Companion Precuts #4 came out this week and inside is my Barn Dance quilt!
I used a 2 1/2" strips of Pretty Potent by Anna Maria Horner which was beautiful to work with. I love how the fabrics are all completely different yet somehow they all work so well together.
 There is also an interview with me and lot of other fantastic patterns and a DVD with lots of information on using precuts. It should be in your newsagent now!
Thanks to those that pointed out the error in the layout diagrams on page 36 and 37. The half blocks are in the wrong place in the diagrams. Check the photo on page 34 for the correct placement.

Monday, June 08, 2015

Ice Cream Shawl

One of my favourite ways of procrastinating is to browse ravelry. My number of items in my queue and favourites is ridiculous. As soon as I saw this shawl I knew I needed to make one immediately. Lucky I had some scraps of Malabrigo and some skeins in the stash. It looks a lot trickier than it is and because it's made in worsted yarn it was quick to knit. The cast off is a 2 colour i cord which I had never done before, it adds a really nice detail to the shawl. More details on ravelry.