Monday, March 05, 2012

A New Direction

I have been thinking a lot the last few months about where I am going and what I am doing. I did a lot of sewing for markets last year and have been feeling a bit burnt out. The though of sewing 50 hats and 10 elephants at a time was not appealing at all anymore. So at the start of the year I decided to take a break from markets for a while and will see how I feel about them in a few months.
Instead I want to write more patterns and design new things. I think I have been promising to write up my giraffe pattern for at least 2 years. I have ideas for new toys, but have had no time to do it. So this is my aim for this year to actually get this done.

Which lead my to think about my copyright policy, especially after reading a few posts on Abby's blog (including this one) and a twitter conversation with Amy, who has changed hers.
So now you can make toys and quilts from my patterns and sell them. There is more information on my copyright page, but basically, acknowledge that you used my pattern, no mass production and don't sell or share the actual pattern.

7 comments:

Abby Glassenberg said...

I'm so glad my posts have helped in your thinking. Designing new toys is my favorite part and I hope you'll have lots of time to dedicate to it this year!

Pikelet Workshop said...

good girl. it's important to find a new direction, completely understand how burnt out you feel. i will probably head down a similar path myself soon enough. think your copyright terms are perfect.

Belinda said...

I totally get your burnt out feeling from doing markets. I feel exactly the same way.

Annie said...

I feel a bit the same about markets. I'm doing one next weekend, but just for my cards and plants which is different to sewing. Thinking of putting my cards on Etsy - did it AGES ago, but then stopped. Hmmm I think it's the time thing, and the all important word ... balance!

Jodie said...

I'm with you on the policy. I think its manners to acknowledge the designer and quite a reasonable request .
I have been loving Abby's recent blog interviews - must have reading !!

Anna said...

I think this is fantastic! I've been tossing up for a long time whether to "launch" into my own product line, sew from other people's patterns, or just teach lessons. At the moment, I've opted to teach, as I can fit it around my family better, and it isn't as "high pressure" as getting a market together. I've always loved your patterns, so as a fellow WA'er, I'll be recommending them to friends and family! I hope you do really well from this and enjoy the journey from here on!

TheWhineyFairy said...

Oh My Goodness! I'm sad and happy at the same time!!!

Sad because I will miss your stall at the upmarket, but happy that now I can answer the people who want me to make them a TLB softy but I've been too scared about the copyright!

Have a nice year of making patterns, we will all look forward to seeing them soon!