Monday, February 29, 2016

Kwik Sew 3527

The onesies I made last year are finally too small and Olive requested a new one in pink Hello Kitty fabric. I can't say I like sewing with this fleecy fabric, but all the girls love it and now the weather is cooling down they will wear onesies  every night. 
I used Kwik Sew 3527 again. Both the Kwik Sew onesie patterns I've made are great, excellent instructions and quite quick and easy to make. 

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Vogue 1528

My needle case is about 15 years old and is showing its age so I thought I'd make a new one today. I bought Vogue 1528 off eBay a while ago. I bought it for the jewellery roll and cosmetic bags, the little sewing case was a bonus. I used scraps of Alison Glass Handcrafted fabric that was left over from making the Planets quilt in Striking Strip Quilts.
It wasn't hard to make and didn't take too long, but I did have to read the instructions to work out what pieces to cut as it wasn't marked on the pattern pieces. I think the elastic for the pocket pieces was a little short so it's pulling the whole case inwards and it won't lay shut. If I make another one I would change that, but other than that it went together perfectly.

Monday, February 22, 2016

Jelly Roll Pouches

A great way to use jelly roll scraps and batting scraps is to make little Quilt-As-You-Go pouches. They are such a quick little project, perfect when you have an hour or so free.

Saturday, February 06, 2016

Indygo Junction Apron

The only problem with sewing so much is constantly being covered in threads and fluff. A sewing apron seemed like a great idea, I don't know why it's taken me so long to make one.
I made my sisters' aprons for Christmas, but the largest size on that pattern was way too small for me and I knew it would take time to alter it so I was excited when Indigo Junction sent me their Crossback Reversible Apron pattern.

I used a Kaufman linen blend for the outside and a quilting cotton from Windham Fabrics for the lining (a great Textile Traders find). I cut a L/XL and the only change I made was to add side seams. The pattern is cut in one big piece on the fold, but as I was using directional fabric for the lining I wanted the pattern going down the apron. This was easy to do and after the pieces were joined I just continued with the instructions as written.

This was a very quick to sew and I am really happy with it. It's easy to take on and off, the pockets are a great size and I love this grey linen. The other great thing about this pattern is the sizing, the largest size can fit up to a 54" bust and there are three children's sizes which I'm sure I'll be trying out soon.

Full Disclosure: I received a copy of the pattern from Indygo Junction free of charge. All opinions are my own.

Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Sewing for Milly and Olive

There has been a lot of quilt sewing lately, but I have managed a few a couple of the girls over the last few weeks.
First up was a jumpsuit for Milly.
This is the Satya Romper, it's a great pattern for older girls, it has no frills and she likes the pockets on the front. I didn't get a picture of the back, but it is a little loose so I'd make the elastic a little tighter and the straps a little shorter next time. I uses some plaid seersucker from spotlight which I did not even attempt to match, but I don't think anyone other than a sewer would notice.
Second was some new shorts from Olive.
These are the Fawn Shorts by Violette Field Threads. These are very cute and not hard to make. Great for summer and also for winter with tights underneath.
Third was a blouse for Olive.
This is Burda 9491 in some Cloud 9 voile from Spotlight. i love this pattern and how you make the pin tuck section first and then cut out the pattern pieces from it. I did have some problem fitting the front pieces together, but it was probably me and my at times lazy approach to seam width.