Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Scarves and Lemon Cake

The girls have been bugging me for a scarf. This was very quick and easy. The second one is now on the needles. Details here.
We are getting lots of lemons off the tree at the moment. I made a lemon cake yesterday which disappeared very quickly. I love a cake which doesn't need icing as you can eat as soon as it has cooled. Measurements are all estimates as usual with my cooking.

Lemon Cake

125g butter
finely grated lemon rind from a lemon or two
1 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups SR flour
2/3 cup milk

Topping
Lemon juice from 2 lemons
1/4 cup sugar

Beat butter, rind and sugar. Mix in the eggs then the flour and then the milk.
Bake at 180 degrees for about 40 minutes.
Mix the topping ingredients together and pour over the top.
Leave to cool for about 20 minutes in the tin and then remove from the in and cool on a wire rack.

9 comments:

Sue said...

I love the scarf on your daughter, she looks like a very good model too! The lemon cake looks delicious. Our tree doesnt seem to have any fruit at the moment but I am hoping next season we can have our lemons growing again.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Yum. I love lemon. Cute scarf. I love how it slips through one "end". Probably easier to stay on little ones.

Jodie said...

Gorgeous scarf Kate!!! Did you make it using your amazing yarn???

I love lemon cake and yours sounds absolutely DELICIOUS!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe..

Hugs - Jodie :)

Michelle said...

kate...
I love these types of scarves...
must track down a crocheted version...
And my your girls are growing up!!!

Jill said...

Cake looks yummy - I've saved the recipe to try next week!!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

What a lovely scarf! Love the way the ends is inserted to keep it together - a very practical design for little ones.

You are very lucky to have you own lemon tree - love lemon flavoured baked goods.

Anonymous said...

I have a scarf like that and my two year old is begging me for one, but I don't knit. Thanks so much for the link to the pattern... I'll try again

Corrie said...

oh yum I love lemons! did you use pear tree yarns for that scarf - it looks like the pink I had here for a little bolero!!!

lovely model and lovely scarf!

Corrie:)

Amy said...

Our lovely lemon tree is abundant! Thanks for sharing this recipe - will try it out this afternoon.
xx Amy