Sunday, October 13, 2013

Chocolate Chews

There has been a lot of baking these school holidays and I think I have made Chocolate Chews every second day. We grew up on this, I think many people in Australia my age grew up on this. We always called it Chocolate Chews, but I know others called it Weetbix Slice or just Chocolate Slice. It is so quick to make and so quick to disappear, which is why I haven't got a good picture of it, but I'm sure you can all imagine a brown slice sprinkled with coconut.

3 wheatbix or a cup of cornflakes
1 cup SR flour
1 cup desiccated coconut
splash of vanilla essence
1/2 cup caster sugar
150g melted butter
2-3 tablespoons cocoa

Mix all the ingredients together.
Press into a buttered slice try and cook for about 15 minutes at 180 degrees.
Ice while warm with chocolate icing.

The happy little chickens are laying madly at the moment. Our biggest egg so far has been 102g. Ouch poor little chicken.

4 comments:

Suzy said...

Thanks for the recipe, I remember eating this as a child but haven't ever made it with my two. And that egg is massive!

Marina said...

Sounds like a great one to try. Would love to have some chooks!

bec said...

Excellent, next weeks baking recipe taken care of! Trying out blogging friends recipes, and this one sounds tops!

Samantha Dennison said...

Looks like something to send the kids to school with! Yum!!