Saturday, February 06, 2016

Indygo Junction Apron


The only problem with sewing so much is constantly being covered in threads and fluff. A sewing apron seemed like a great idea, I don't know why it's taken me so long to make one.
I made my sisters' aprons for Christmas, but the largest size on that pattern was way too small for me and I knew it would take time to alter it so I was excited when Indigo Junction sent me their Crossback Reversible Apron pattern.













I used a Kaufman linen blend for the outside and a quilting cotton from Windham Fabrics for the lining (a great Textile Traders find). I cut a L/XL and the only change I made was to add side seams. The pattern is cut in one big piece on the fold, but as I was using directional fabric for the lining I wanted the pattern going down the apron. This was easy to do and after the pieces were joined I just continued with the instructions as written.





























This was a very quick to sew and I am really happy with it. It's easy to take on and off, the pockets are a great size and I love this grey linen. The other great thing about this pattern is the sizing, the largest size can fit up to a 54" bust and there are three children's sizes which I'm sure I'll be trying out soon.












Full Disclosure: I received a copy of the pattern from Indygo Junction free of charge. All opinions are my own.

Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Sewing for Milly and Olive

There has been a lot of quilt sewing lately, but I have managed a few a couple of the girls over the last few weeks.
First up was a jumpsuit for Milly.
This is the Satya Romper, it's a great pattern for older girls, it has no frills and she likes the pockets on the front. I didn't get a picture of the back, but it is a little loose so I'd make the elastic a little tighter and the straps a little shorter next time. I uses some plaid seersucker from spotlight which I did not even attempt to match, but I don't think anyone other than a sewer would notice.
Second was some new shorts from Olive.
These are the Fawn Shorts by Violette Field Threads. These are very cute and not hard to make. Great for summer and also for winter with tights underneath.
Third was a blouse for Olive.
This is Burda 9491 in some Cloud 9 voile from Spotlight. i love this pattern and how you make the pin tuck section first and then cut out the pattern pieces from it. I did have some problem fitting the front pieces together, but it was probably me and my at times lazy approach to seam width.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Making Striking Strip Quilts

I was sorting out photos on my phone today and came across a stack I took while I was sewing the quilts for Striking Strip Quilts and I thought I would share them with you.





Thursday, January 21, 2016

Folk Art Flowers

When I was making Folk Art Flowers for Striking Strip Quilts I had a hard time deciding on a colour scheme. I went with the beautiful red and green, but one of the options was aqua and grey and I knew I wanted to make a wall quilt version of the quilt in this colour scheme.
This is such a fun project to use all your tiny scraps in your favourite colours.
We're having a break from our normal crazy hot January weather this week. It's usually too hot to spend too long in my sewing room at this time of the year so I am going to make the most of the cool weather and spend the day sewing.



Sunday, January 10, 2016

Striking Strip Quilts - It's Here!!

My books are here! Its available now from Martingale and should be on its way to quilt shops now!

Saturday, January 09, 2016

Storm Trooper Negroni

As soon as I saw Maria's excellent Storm Trooper shirt I planned a trip to Spotlight and picked  up a few metres of the fabric. I went with the Colette Negroni pattern. It is a little more casual and I didn't have to think about pattern matching the button band.
I wasn't too sure I would like a shirt without the collar stand on Chris, but I love how it is a little more casual and it is so easy to sew! The only alteration (besides blending between sizes) was to remove about 3/4" from the sleeve length before I cut it out and the only extra thing I need to do next time is to increase the cuff width as the cuffs are a little tight.
As you can see he is pretty happy with it, I think it's going to get a lot of wear.


Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Wiksten Tank

As usual I am always late to the party - this time it is the Wiksten Tank party.
I looked at the weather forecast at the start of this week and decided I needed some loose fitting cool tops for the hot weather.  I wasn't sure weather to go with the Tiny Pocket Tank or the Wiksten so I asked Instagram and the winner for my figure was the Wiksten.

I knew I would need to do an fba and after fitting the pattern to me I thought I would need a little more coverage at the armhole so I did an fba like this from Fit for Real People.
I used some rayon from Spotlight that was on special last week. Unlike some of the rayon I have bought there this was lovely to sew, not shifty at all.
It is currently 37 and this top is perfect.  I still want to try the Kate top and Datura, but I'm sure I'll be making more of these.