Wednesday, October 06, 2010

McCalls 5430

A new skirt using Mcalls pattern 5430. I really like this pattern, but it took me more than than an hour it said it would take. I probably should have read through the instructions first before just sewing away and then wondering how the band was spposed to work.
I used some Amy Butler that was not as drapey as the fabric used on the pattern cover, but I still like it. I didn't put the pockets on which I think would have looked a bit odd with the big print. I think pockets would work better with a fabric with a smaller pattern.
I'd definitely recommend the pattern and am sure I will make a few more this summer.

10 comments:

AJ said...

Did you shorten the pattern?? It looks shorter than the front of the pattern??

Love the fabric that you have used.

Andi said...

Very pretty!!

zofia said...

love it in that fabric :)

Fran said...

Looks great Kate!
I love that fabric. I have that same print in the bergundy and was just thinking today about the dress I'm going to make with it.
Thanks for the inspiration

Naturally Carol said...

Perfect match, pattern and fabric. The fabric accentuates the lovely simple lines of the skirt. The navy spaces in between the busy detail of the fabric design allow the profile of the finished product to shine. Well done!

Kris said...

I've never managed to make one of their "1 hour" patterns in 1 hour. Maybe I'm just slow? Or maybe it would only take an hour once you've made a few and your speed increases.

Seaweed and Raine said...

Thanks! I have been looking for an interesting A-line pattern since last summer!!! You may just have solved my dilemma :)

our shabby cottage said...

I like the look of that pattern Kate.

Leigh @ Toasted said...

Lovely. I've been wanting to tackle making an A-line skirt. Do you think this pattern would be a bit much for a fairly inexperienced sewing?

Leigh @ Toasted said...

Ta for the advice re: pattern. Just got a Spotlight voucher as a prezzie so I'll have to get it now!