Thursday, October 07, 2010

Half Metre Skirt

The school holidays are at an end, which also means an end to my hour or two a day of sewing quietly while the girls garden with Chris.
Yesterday I whipped up a skirt for Amelia. It is pretty much the same as my easy skirt tutorial. The only difference is the band is the smaller piece on this skirt and the shorter piece on the other skirt is the gathered part on the bottom. This skirt used a half metre of fabric which is about 20 inches. You could make a slightly shorter skirt with half a yard. This skirt fits my 5 1/2 year olds.
Fold the fabric in half. Cut a piece 20 inches across by 13 inches tall (when you fold it out it will be 40 inches wide). The cut a piece about 16 inches wide by 5.5 inches tall (so when you fold it out it will be 32 inches wide). You don't have to be exact with your measurements as the skirt is gathered and you cut the elastic to the size you want.
Now follow all the instructions in the tutorial here.

7 comments:

Bianca Jae Makes Stuff said...

Cute skirt! Thanks for the tutorial. With the aussie dollar so strong I think 1/4 yard it will be ;) xox

Unknown said...

Pretty skirt! Good choice of fabric as always, thanks for the tutorial! :) x

Jodie said...

Cute fabric = super cute skirt!!!

Great job Kate and thanks for your super simple explanation on how you did your alterations..

Jodie :)

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

What fun fabric for a girly skirt!! Your girls always look gorgeous in their beautiful clothes.

The only clothing I am allowed to make for my daughter now is PJ's:)

Sarah Slaven said...

What fun fabric thanks for the tutorial

Wendy said...

Bookmarking this...my girls need skirts, and this one looks like I might be able to swing it!

Chrissy in Chaos said...

I read this on Saturday morning and promptly went and showed it to my Mum who then produced some red tartan and we proceeded to make a smaller version for my 4 yr old, It's wintery here and with her patent shoes and some thick white tights she loved wearing it on Saturday afternoon.

Thanks for the tips!

And any ideas for a nice long aline for a grown up????