Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Renaissance Garden Quilt

The sun came out briefly today and I managed some pictures of my quilt. I used a grey solid as the background for this which I wasn't sure about when I cut it out (too much like my old school uniform) but it has grown on me and I like the contrast with the bright fabrics.

I used a grey and white spot for the back, but I did not have quite enough so I added strips of 3 different fabrics to half of the back.
I first made this pattern for my Mum, but hadn't shown it on my blog as I wanted to surprise her. I used fat quarters of French General Rouenneries. She loves it. I knew she would - this fabric seems like it was made just for her. I love it too - I really love the shades of red - and I would have loved to keep it for myself.

I quilted both of these with straight lines which I really enjoyed doing and think it is perfect for this pattern.

I used 4 yards of diferent fabrics for the back and added a patchwork strip made from left over fabrics from the front.
The pattern is now available here or here.

9 comments:

Hsu-Yin said...

i love the grey. I've been recently thinking about grey in a quilt so thank you for the inspiration/reminder!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Both are great. Love the grey with those brights.

Annie said...

I think the grey is great - I wouldn't have thought of school uniforms until you mentioned it! LOVE your mum's quilt too. I'm glad you got a small slice of sunshine - we aren't getting much here.

Novi On The Go said...

Great front and back designs for both quilts! I especially like the back parts, so simple and graphic. The grey made the bright fabrics pop out, the red quilt is so pretty.

Selina said...

I love that raspberry quilt! I would want to keep it too.

Bianca Jae Makes Stuff said...

Kate! I love these!! My new favorites!! And I was wondering how you managed to turn out 2 so quickly ;) Your mum must be so proud xox

Lisa said...

Absolutely beautiful quilts. I love the red one. Just gorgeous.

Jodie said...

Oh kate,
I have been thinking of grey lately and then thinking it might be too much and really not having a clue.... and then wham ! you use it and its awesome.

Thimbleanna said...

They're both very pretty Kate -- it's fun to see the same pattern in different fabrics!