So I am going to try to explain where this little bug came from .
As you can see I am not the best at drawing, but I do keep a sketchbook I try to sketch in it and write down ideas so I can remember them later. I first thought about making a bug last year.
It is still floating around the house somewhere in the girls' toys. That was as far as I got and I moved on to other things. Lately I have been trying to make Australian softies and have been really stuck on making an echidna.
It has become a challenge, which I can't let go. The last few weeks I have been trying to make one using a base and two upper pieces - much simpler, it is still not looking like an echidna though, but it did get me thinking about making a jewel beetle.
I bought some lovely natural linene a while ago on special and have been trying to find the right project for it. I didn't want to use it on some of my other toys as it does fray a bit and I am not so confident using it on tight curves, but it is perfect for a bug shape. I thought about designs or embroidery for the back, but I really liked the spots I put on this skirt. I was not keen on sewing 6 very small legs and turning and stuffing them so different legs. The tails I use for my other animals and my giraffe horns become antennae and here you have it - a bug!
I love how designs evolve to form a new animal and I have a plan to modify this pattern to make a mouse and maybe a crocodile.