Tuesday, December 06, 2011

New Look 6674

I am back from a really wonderful weekend at the Fremantle Arts Centre Bazaar. If there is anywhere you want to be on a really hot weekend in Perth it is sitting in the grounds there under the trees. The only downside was seeing the bar from my stall and all the people walking past with icy cold beer while I was trying to work.
In amongst the market sewing the last few weeks I realised I needed three days of good clothes for the bazaar. I made New Look 6674 as it looked quite comfortable. It was very straightforward to make. I used a cotton/polyester (I think) blend that had been in my stash for ages. It looks ok in the photos, but it is actually too big and and it gapes at the top. You definitely need a singlet under it.


I tried it again in some lovely lawn I bought at Spotlight in a size smaller and it fits better around the bottom and is fine with a singlet under it, but would need major alterations if you did not want to wear one. I love the lawn - it was perfect in 36 degree heat. I went back to Spotlight yesterday and bought some more in different patterns. I used a press stud on the first one instead of a button, but on the second I just sewed on velcro with the machine which worked really well. I also managed to machine stitch everything on the second one (no hand sewing at all) as I wanted to finish it fast. So the facing on the band was machine stitched down as I top stitched the band on the outside.

9 comments:

Emma said...

Hi Kate, I also love lawn & your right it is brilliant in the heat!! How do you think this pattern would go as a maternity dress? Emma

Tanya said...

These are both lovely, esp the lawn. Spotlight has some really lovely fabrics these days. Hard to leave empty handed :-). Tanya :-)

Christine said...

Beautiful dresses. I have this pattern and I love the dress I made (three years ago). Now I want to try one with sleeves.

jamsandwich said...

I just bought this pattern so thanks for the inspiration

Sally said...

So do you think it would be okay to breast feed in? Wearing one of those breast feeding singlets with the built in bra ... wanna wear a dress but finding it hard to find one that I can whip my boob out easily!

Anonymous said...

I'm loving the spotlight lawn at the moment as well. I think that its very close in quality to the Liberty (although the prints are probably a little less sophisticated) but a price that is not daunting. I suffer a lot fro not wanting to cut the good stuff.

I've, ahem, invested in a bit of late...

Anonymous said...

P.S. The dresses are lovely. Now I need to buy a dress length of lawn!

Samantha Dennison said...

I find a singlet too hot to wear under a dress in summer so I wear those light weight sports crop tops over my bra instead.
xx

BeaJay said...

Your dresses look great - hope you can fix the fit problems to your satisfaction as the dresses look great on you.