Saturday, December 24, 2011

Butterick 3768

I finished all the Christmas sewing yesterday and thought I should make myself a new Christmas skirt. I used a vintage pattern - Butterick 3768. There is no date on the pattern, but it is obviously from the 70s.

The fabric is red cotton spots from Spotlight. The skirt is cut in one piece. So some is cut on the grain, some against and some ends up on the bias. If I made it again (and I have no doubt I will) I would probably use a very soft cotton so it falls nicely from the hips. I think the lawn you can buy at Spotlight would be great.

In the pattern it is meant to wrap at the back and tie at the front, but I am going to wear it the opposite way so I waited until I had finished and then put the pocket on so it would be on the front. I also cut the pocket a little smaller as it is a huge pocket.

The only downside to this pattern is because the skirt is cut in one piece it uses more fabric that a normal skirt (I think I used a bit under 2 metres), but luckily I am short as a tall person would need ever more. If you are looking for the pattern - search Etsy I found mine there.








Merry Christmas everyone I hope you all have a wonderful day wherever you and whatever you are doing!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most excellent skirt and just right for Christmas Day. I also can see it in some of the Spotlight lawn...

Brenda said...

Beautiful skirt. Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas!

Lisa said...

Merry Christmas!

SewSurprising said...

Red with spots always just looks so summerish (if there is such a word?)as usual a great job :) Hope you had a nice Christmas and will find time to put your feet up before the New Year.