Sunday, December 04, 2016

Needle Shopping in Kyoto - Misuyabari

While searching for fabric stores in Kyoto I kept reading about a tiny needle shop that was quite tricky to find. Of course that meant I had to find it. I am so glad I did. Misuyabari is located just off a shopping mall down a passage way, luckily a few people gave quite good instructions. I followed these ones. 
At the end of the short passage way is a beautiful garden and at the back of it is a tiny little shop.
The family has been making needles for over 350 years. The owner was very helpful and patient and with the help of google translate we managed to work out what needles I wanted. They make all sorts of hand sewing needles and there are samples of each one to feel.

The detail on the decorative pin tops is amazing. They are so tiny that they hand you a magnifying glass so you can get a good look.
They also make these lovely sewing boxes.
And pin cushions that are full of wool so your needles don't rust. 
I bought a selection of needles, I really should have written on each one as I have no idea which ones are which now. There are quite a few needles in each packet and the packaging is really lovely.
Some of the needles have a round eye which I believe is easier to thread. 
It is definitely worth finding it if you are in Kyoto.



4 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

You found some wonderful shops on your trip........

corrie said...

That little needle shop was awesome! I wish I bought more when I went...

Kate said...

I wish I did too!!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Really amazing