Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Circles

I can't believe I've made perfect circles! I read through all the advice Jacquie got and thought I'd try the fusible interfacing method. I didn't actually use fusible interfacing I could picture ironing the circles to the wrong place or ironing the wrong side of the interfacing and having to clean the iron. I remember trying this method a few years ago for small flowers and circles which didn't work at all - I think they may have been too small and the facing just ripped too much trying to turn them inside out. For those wondering iI used an 18 degree ruler to cut out the pieces.
So this is what I did. I pinned it to the facing and cut it out roughly. I sewed a quarter inch seam and trimmed the facing.
I cut a slit in the interfacing and turned it inside out.
Then I ironed it and there it is - a percect circle!
The backing is just strips of cream and some of the fabric I have used in the circles. Now I just have to sew the circles on.
And just because I can - Eva. Who has finally learnt to roll onto her front - these things can be a little tricky when you have gorgeous little chubby tummy.

22 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

I'll say it's perfect! Great job. I love it when there are ways to make things easier. Darling Eva!!!

LeeAnn said...

Thanks so much for posting this technique! This will help me out loads over my Xmas holiday!

Anonymous said...

You are so clever!

I understand the chubby tummy and rolling, I don't think Lucinda is going to roll for a long time! She's one chubba bubba!

Ashley said...

What a pretty circle! What a beautiful baby girl! It's fun to have so many "firsts". Enjoy the holidays.

Michaela said...

Circles look perfect. I can't wait to see it all together. I'e seen this technique used for applique pieces, but never tried it. Great job!

Jodie said...

The circle looks perfect, weel done!!! Looking forward to seeing it all together.. Gorgeous baby pic too..

Jodie :)

Jenny said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful circle technique with us-you sure a clever! Beautiful baby bundle-such joy:)

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

What a cute pictureof Eva! Your circles look great - can't wait to see the finished product.

Sue said...

The circles do look great. I cannot wait to see the end result too. Eva looks gorgeous as always and a bit of extra chubby tummy is always so cute at that age.

Cathy said...

thanks for that - the circles look fantastic.

Your little Eva is just adorable.

One Shabby Chick said...

What a fantastic idea - I have the try this! And Eva is absolutely beautiful :-)

Amber

our shabby cottage said...

Go Eva!!!
Love the perfect circle - I can't wait to see the finished article....

Jodie said...

That is one fantastically circular circle!

picklesticks said...

The circles are pretty great, but that girl of yours is gorgeous! What beautiful eyes she has.

sewtakeahike said...

Oh Kate! It looks fabulous! Thank-you so much for all your photos. I really had no desire to do one of these until I saw your documentation. I love the strips on the back of the quilt too, it adds a a really nice touch. I just got back from a trip to the fabric store (Joann's) where they had all their flannel for $1.49/yard today, normally $5.99/yard and I bought a ton. Maybe I'll try a plate with some flannel once it's out of the wash!

jacquie said...

i'm so glad it worked for you! can't wait to see all the circles sewed down.

Kris said...

Eva is so cute! And doesn't look wide at all! (love the circle! What a good job!)

Anonymous said...

Great job! Love the choice of colors! Awww.... so adorable - rolling on to her tummy

LisaAnn said...

They are just beautiful, great job! What a gorgeous baby you have.

Anne Marie said...

The circle turned out beautiful and your baby is beautiful as well. What pretty eyes!

Raggy Rat said...

my 7 mo old and i were just admiring the colours and work on your blog - she cooed at evas pic - may we exchange blog links?

RheLynn said...

Eva is getting SO big I can't believe she is rolling already! Such bright eyes as well. Some nice work you are doing here with the hexagons and circles!