One of my sewing aims this year was to make a button up shirt that fits really well and then use it as a base for all sorts of shirts. I have a large stack of shirt patterns I want to try. Earlier this year I tried McCalls 6436. I made the big mistake of only making a muslin which didn't include sleeves so it is slightly too tight across the sleeves. I was so annoyed with myself I haven't taken pictures yet, but I will pull it out and take some soon.
When I signed up for the Blouses - One Pattern, Many Looks course on Craftsy it came with McCalls 6649 so I thought I would try it next. I love how both of these come with different front pieces for different cup sizes so I didn't have to do a FBA.
I kind of tissue fit it/measured it/had a few guesses and made the following changes:
- shortened the sleeve length
- narrowed the cuff length
- made a full arm adjustment
- lowered the neck line slightly at the back and side and a tiny bit more at the front.
- Narrowed the collar a tiny bit and lengthened it and the collar band to compensate for lowering the neckline.
I am pretty happy with how it fits. I wore it for a day and found it very comfortable.
I love the colour and pattern on this fabric I found at Spotlight, but I'm not a fan of how it feels. Maybe I am a bit spoilt by sewing shirts for Chris from Liberty and other nice shirt fabrics.