Milly has been asking for a pair of denim overalls for a while, but we hadn't found the right pattern. While we were in Spotlight a few weeks ago, and patterns were on sale, she went searching and found Burda 9464. We also bought some dark stretch denim, overall buckles and buttons.
I was a little apprehensive about making them, I knew Milly had a vision in her head of what she wanted.and I wasn't sure I had the same one. So I crossed my fingers and started cutting yesterday afternoon. I cut a size 10 in view B. The only alterations I made were to use the pocket on the bib from view A and to alter the width of the straps at the front. I really wanted to see what they would look like so I kept sewing last night until they were finished.
She put them on this morning and hasn't taken them off and has asked for some short ones for summer so I consider that a win.
My machine is not a big fan of top stitching thread So I used normal thread and the triple stitch for all the top stitching. It did take a bit more time, but the result is well worth it.
I couldn't find any jeans buttons that didn't come with buckles so I used normal buttons for the sides.
For all of you who hate hemming denim and sewing over the seams I recently discovered the jean-a-ma-jig. This is a brilliant piece of plastic which makes sewing over thick seams so much easier and neater. I don't think I will fear hemming denim ever again.