Friday, February 15, 2008

Cakes

We made Chocolate Cake yesterday, a big one and a couple of heart shape ones as a Valentine's Day present for Chris. The girls (especially Grace) were very excited as they got to put 'green honey' on top. Grace started asking for green honey on her toast ages ago and it took us a long time to realise she meant hundreds and thousands. She has never had it on toast for breakfast, but still asks everyday in the hope we might change our minds.
We also made some Zucchini Bread - so yummy and a great way to use up some zucchini.
Corina asked me how I manage to sew with the girls and if they touch everything in my sewing room. I get asked this a lot especially from people that don't sew. I think it's definitely a case of the more they are in here when I sew the easier it is. I used to have a barrier on the door and they were always trying to get in here. Now the door is wide open and everything is left out. The scissors and pins are out of reach (I know they could get them if they tried) and they just gradually learnt what they could and couldn't touch. Yes it did take a while and they made a mess more than a few times - untangling reels of cotton and balls of wool are not my favourite pastimes, but it was worth it now.

8 comments:

Kris said...

Yummmmmmmmm!!!!!! Green Honey??? Aren't kids amazing!

You are so clever. Letting kids be with you and teaching them what's ok and what's not is the best way to get your things done! Excluding them makes them desperate to be a part of what you are doing. I think pottering around in my mother's sewing room is how I learned to sew. She didn't particularly teach me, I just played and watched her.

Jodie said...

Yummy looking cakes!!! Thanks for the link to the Zucchini bread, I've heaps of zucchini ready in my vege patch at the moment, what a great way to get rid of some!!
I let my little princess into my sewing room at a young age too and now she also knows what she can and can't touch and just plays along happily beside me...

Jodie

Jade said...

Hmmm, your post gave me food for thought about letting my bub into the craft/sewing room. She's still into touching everything, including pincushions and scissors. Then she'll go hide it somewhere. I'm still hunting around for a crochet hook, that she took weeks ago. She hasn't learned what not to touch yet, but I guess it'll click sometime soon? When did that happen for your twin lasses?

Kitsch n Zinc said...

Yum those cakes look lovely!

Kids come out with the cutest things don't they....hehe

Anonymous said...

Oh, we made sweets too! Now if I can just stop eating them I'll be okay. ;)

Abby said...

ohhhh I am with you on the kids in the sewing room thing.... wyatt loves playing in there.... he has a stash of toys in there and he is finally working out where he can and can't go..... he is usually prety happy pottering in there with me.....
luv Abby

Jenny said...

Green Honey!!!Why not??? I love that!Great looking cakes:)

Miss Cinti - my poppet said...

Just watched a kids show this morning about life in Holland. apparently kids there have chocolate or sugar sprinkles on buttered bread for breakfast. Does she have any Dutch friends? If you lived in amsterdam green honey would just be the norm.
Hope you are well. xx cintia