I have made a few skirts for the girls recently. They are so quick and easy to make so I thought I'd write a tutorial for the easiest two year old skirt. I have made a few that are all one fabric and some that have two different fabrics. This skirt fits about a 48cm (19") waist and the girls are about 86cm (33 1/2") tall.
1. Cut two fabric pieces - the top one is about 28" by 9" (sorry all my measurements are in inches as I use my quilting board and rulers to cut)
- the bottom is 34" by 5.25"
2. Sew the hems to make two circles and overlock or zigzag stitch the edges.
3. Increase your stitch length on your machine (I turn mine to 4) and with a long tail of cotton sew around the top of the bottom piece. leave a long tail at the end as well. Pull the top tail of cotton at each end gently to gather.
4. Pin to the top piece, matching seams and easing to fit.
5. Sew and then overlock or zigzag. I iron towards the top and then topstitch.
6. Overlock the hem and fold up and sew.
7. Overlock the top and sew down leaving enough width to thread through elastic and a small opening to thread it through. I like to top stitch as well - I think it stops the elastic twisting.
8. Thread the elastic through - I use big safety pins and sew it up. Then sew up the opening. The only elastic I use now is non roll ribbed elastic and for children's clothes I use 3/4" (20mm).