Friday, March 27, 2015

The Paper Pieced Home

The first thing I ever paper pieced was the asterix block by Penny Layman so I was a little bit excited when I heard she was writing a book on paper piecing. I was not disappointed!
It is not only filled with fantastic blocks, but there is a great instruction section at the front. Since I first made that asterix block I have done a bit of paper piecing and I absolutely love it, but it is not something that comes naturally to me so I read through all the instructions and it is full of clear diagrams and excellent tips and tricks.


By Penny Layman
Interweave/F+W; $26.99
 
I have some beautiful saucepans I inherited from my Grandmother so as soon as I saw the saucepan block I knew I had to make it.
 I was a little worried as there were so many tiny pieces and you have to make it in several sections, but after reading all the instructions this block went together perfectly.
I enjoyed making it so much I made another.
 The book is not only filled with fantastic blocks, but also has some great projects that use the blocks. These saucepans are set to become hot pads. My Mum has already dropped some not so subtle hints about wanting the blue one so yes Mum I'll get it to you soon!
I have plans to try a few more blocks from the book. The Paper Dress and Giraffe are at the top of the list.


               
You can see more more of Penny's amazing book on the following blogs.
 
3/16       McCall’s Quilting / Sewing Machine Block
3/17       Love of Quilting / Review
3/17       Sandi Sawa Hazlewood  of Crafty Planner / Watering Can Block
3/18       Quilty Pleasure (Quiltmaker blog) / Review
3/18       Imagine Gnats / Rotary Phone Block
3/20       Verykerryberry / Lion Block
3/21       Artisania / Cast-Iron Skillet Block
3/23       Where the Orchids Grow / Lamp Block
3/24       Katie Blakesley of Swim Bike Quilt / Layer Cake Block
3/24       House on Hill Road / Oven Mitt Block
3/24       Lee Heinrich of Freshly Pieced / BBQ Grill Block
3/26       Pink Penguin / Allie-Gator Block
3/26       A Happy Stitch / Giraffe Block
3/27       Bijou Lovely / Jar Block
3/27       Two Little Banshees / Saucepan Block
3/27       Charise Creates / Espresso Mug Block
3/30       Karen Lewis Textiles / Couch Block
3/31       Poppyprint / Clawfoot Tub Block
3/31       One Shabby Chick / Stack of Books Block
3/31       During Quiet Time / Sleeveless Dress Block
4/06       Pat Sloan The Voice of Quilting / Author Podcast Interview


19 comments:

Jayne said...

A friend of mine has this book and I was lucky enough to thumb through it! It is so amazing and the paperdoll dress is at the top of my list too!

Rozz01 said...

The blue fabric was a perfect choice for your saucepan project. I also luv the dress pattern.

Nancy said...

I love your saucepans!

Anonymous said...

Love your project>love the Blue!
Thanks for sharing in this Tour!
msstitcher1214@gmail.com

Vicki H said...

Your saucepans would make great hot pads.

Deb said...

Great job! Another blogger made those saucepans, too, and so far, that's the pattern i really like!

Marina said...

You are very clever - must be very satisfying to create little pictures out of fabric. I love the book cover.....

Kathleen said...

Your pots turned out so cute, great fabric choices. And I absolutely have to make that giraffe!

sewtakeahike said...

I love that your mom has her eye on the blue pan :) They turned out so good Kate! I'm excited that you were excited to make a second one, that makes my heart warm and fuzzy!!!

Terry said...

Your blocks are so cute…especially love the blue one!! Thanks for sharing :)
cwayons(at)yahoo(dot)com

Tamie said...

Love, love your saucepans!

Catskill Quilter said...

I love the saucepan and especially like the reference back to your grandmother's saucepans! I have some of my Mom's pans, a few of my grandmother's favorite utensils, and Betty Crocker cookbooks of my Mom, favorite Aunt, and Grandmother -- such treasures that reflect their generations so well.

Unknown said...

So may fun blocks....thanks for sharing your work!

Tara Celeste said...

Adorable! This book looks great!

Kathy E. said...

Your saucepans are adorable! How clever of you to duplicate them in a quilt block...love them both!

KeyQuilter said...

Well Done! Even the decorative part around the pot! Excellent!

Lens said...

The sauce pan looks wonderful and the fabric selection is perfect for this design :)
Can't wait to see new blocks

mumbird3 said...

Your pot looks great!

Sue Rostron said...

Hi I saw a really cute pieced matryoshka pattern on Pinterest today I thought you might like.
The site is:
artsania.wordpress.com/2012/04/28/quilt makers-100-blocks-volume-5-blog-tour/