Monday, January 03, 2011

First Crafting of 2011

Amelia and Grace saw me looking at this mushroom fabric online a while ago and both immediately wanted it in different colourways.
Amelia wanted me to make a dress using a pattern in this Vintage French sewing book (you can see it in the bottom picture on the right). The first one I made was awful - the hole under the button was huge and it was too tight at the neck. This second version is a little better, but still has problems with the top part. I added a zip to the back (as it is quilte slim fitting) so it doesn't have a buttonhole (the button is sewn through all the pieces) and it is much easier to get on and off. I added pockets from the Oliver and S Jump Rope dress.




Grace wanted Simplicity 2320. It was a quick and easy pattern, nearly exactly the same as this one I made for myself. I am glad I had made that first as the instructions for this aren't great and some of the pattern pieces did not seem to match very well. After sewing some great patterns from Oliver and S and other smaller pattern companies sewing this one was a bit of a disappointment. These patterns might be a bit more expensive and a little harder to get, but they make up for it with great instructions, well drafted patterns and I want to make them again and again so they are definitely cheaper in the long run.
More details are here at Pattern Review. I have decided one of New Years Resolutions is to write pattern reviews over there as it is the first place I look when I am thinking about trying a new pattern so I would like to help other people when they are deciding on what to sew and what changes they should make to patterns.
A small pair of kimono shoes for my nephew using this pattern. If you are looking for a cute baby present I recommend this pattern. The smaller sizes can be a bit fiddly, but with a little patience they turn out really well.

12 comments:

Jo said...

Happy new year!

I agree about patterns - some really are not great. I try to be truthful whenever I blog about one so that hopefully it's useful to people.

And I love that your girls have such strong opinions on what they like.

Sue said...

The dresses both look beautiful. I love the little shoes for your new nephew too!

Naturally Carol said...

Lovely work, I am sure people will appreciate your reviews too as it's so annoying to get a pattern that promises much and delivers little!

bec said...

Love the fabric, clever girls! The red one looks too tricky for me, Sib would wear it once and then not again, probably! The green one looks nice and cool, such different styles! And cute shoes, great job!

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

I just love those fabrics and the girls look so cute in the dresses! A great way to start off a creative year!

Katrina Higham said...

Kate, you sewing and craft is just so nice to view! Thankyou for introducing me to the website ithinksew.com it has some cute things in it and you do it MORE than justice! :)

Alex said...

Hi Kate
I've just bought a drop bear from etsy. Came across your site after I bought Meet me at Mike's from Barney and Fleur. Great that you're in Bridgetown as I am too! Really like your sewing.
Alex

Anonymous said...

I love your resolution - you might just save my sanity. I nearly going out of my head figuring out problems - I'm so grateful for sites like pattern review, and Ravelry.

Love the dresses and the fabric!

Ewa said...

Greetings from sweden! I love mushrooms, especially the red one. Where did you get it? I need it (not "want" Neeeeeeeeed).

Ewa

Tracy said...

Happy new year and happy crafting in 2011. I'm glad you are going to be doing pattern reviews. I really appreciate it when I can find thoughtful reviews of patterns that interest me.

Unknown said...

ooh! love the mushroom fabric! And the little sheepy slippers are so cute!!

Sandy Naidu said...

Love the pattern of the dress...