Sunday, January 30, 2011

Zucchini Cake and Banana Bread

I love how if a recipe has 'bread' in its name it somehow seems healthier even though it probably has more oil and sugar than a cake. I have tried a couple of zucchini bread recipes in the past week and think I have found my favourite - a kind of hybird of them all. I also made a delicious Banana Bread. It was adapted from a recipe I found in a Country Living a few years ago.


Zucchini Cake

180g soft butter1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups grated zucchini (squeeze out the excess liquid)
1 grated apple (squeeze out the excess liquid)
1 2/3 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1tsp cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts

Cream butter and sugar. Mix in the eggs. Add the grated zucchini and apple. Mix in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Add the walnuts.
Bake at about 180 degrees for 55 minutes.
Eat with good butter.


Banana Bread

2 ripe mashed bananas
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
1 cup dessicated coconut
150g dark chocolate chips

Mix the banana, vanilla and eggs. Mix in the sugars, then the flour and baking powder. Mix in the milk and then the coconut and chocolate chips. Bake for about an hour at 180 degrees C.


I wasn't aware we planted a variety of sunflowers called 'short and stunted' but it must be true. These are some of the shortest sunflowers I have ever seen.

I popped the very short Eva in the photo to make them look taller.

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Yum!
Your sunflowers still look gorgeous even if short and stunted

nikkishell said...

Or you could say "Look at Eva, she's as tall as a sunflower!"
:)
The zucchini and banana breads look yummy.

Brenda said...

Eva looks adorable by the sunflower. The zucchini cake and banana bread look delicious. Makes me want to go to the kitchen and bake.

Bruise Mouse said...

That zucchini cake sounds amazing. I think you could even get away with calling it a 'health food' seeing as it has zucchini and apple. I will certainly give it a try.

Michelle said...

Perfect! Am going to make the zucchini cake today. Eva looks adorable next to the sunflower!