Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sewing Tip

I have been sewing strips from jelly rolls together which in the past would have driven me insane until I realised my Pfaff sewing machine has this thing they call an Integrated Dual Feed System that works like a walking foot. It is perfect for patchwork as you can use your 1/4 inch foot at the same time. It is on the back of the sewing machine and you just clip it into the foot you are using (I've drawn an arrow to it in the picture below) and sew away. It ensures that the top and the bottom fabric are fed through at the same rate and there is no puckering or stretching of one fabric. I have it clipped in all the time when I am quilting now and has made a huge difference.

4 comments:

Bianca Jae Makes Stuff said...

2 months after I got my Janome they released an updated model with a very similar feature....still makes me mad!! Glad you have worked out how handy it is. And what are you making with jelly strips? Wanting to buy them but not sure what to do with them :P xox

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

I have a Pfaff too and use my IDF for almost everything - it rally does make a huge difference.

Anonymous said...

I have two Pfaffs! When I took the class on how to use the first one the instructor said that the IDF should be engaged during almost all of your sewing. Free motion and decorative stitches seemed to be the only general exceptions. It's the feature I bought the Pfaff for and I love it. So glad you discovered it. Go IDF!

Mandy said...

Hi Kate, I have a question on the Jelly roles, do you pre wash before sewing? I'm thinking of getting some (since one of your previous posts) but I'm worried about washing and fraying. Do they fray or do you have a technique to prevent it? Thanks heaps, wish I had a machine like the Pfaff, my extremely basic Janome just doesn't cut it!!! Yay for the walking foot and 1/4 inch foot though :-)