Monday, September 17, 2012

Triangle Corners with Directional Prints

A tip when sewing 'triangle corners' with directional prints. You think I would remember this now considering how many of them I have sewed over the years, but I always seem to have them going in different directions. This usually doesn't bother me, but now and then I want them going in a particular direction. 
 The background (small square) flips at a 90 degree angle so if you want it going in the same direction you need to turn it 90 degrees before you sew it - you can just see I have turned the houses so the bottom of them is facing the edge of the fabric. I left the yellow fabric to show you how that flips.

 After flipping and ironing, the backgound of the top one has turned 90 degrees while the bottom one is facing the 'right' way.
I have sewed a few triangle corners and flying geese recently and think I am a convert to pressing the seams open. It does take a little more time and I have burnt the edges of my fingers a couple of times, but I really like the way they sit flat and I think it makes it easier to match the points and corners. What do you prefer - pressing to the side or open?

No comments: