Sunday, July 03, 2011

Red Coat

I bought this pattern in 2004 in Denmark and I have been going to make it every winter since, but for one reason or another it never happened. The completely freezing weather this week, the lack of coats in my cupboard and the realisation that the cardi I am knitting won't be magically finished today meant I needed to sew.
It was a very easy pattern, no lining and only 4 pieces. I also 'cheated' on the buttons by using press studs and sewing buttons on the outside. I thought the coat needed big buttons and new if I tried big button holes they would look a little untidy. These are the last of some hand made buttons my Mum bought back from Sydney a few years ago.





14 comments:

bec said...

Great coat! I love that it's called 'snitmonster'. By Onion. teehee

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Very nice coat Kate - those buttons are perfect!

zofia said...

Looks fabulous! Much better than the pic on the pattern.
I have some Onion patterns languishing somewhere in my stash..should hunt them out!

Kate said...

its gorgeous! the buttons really finish it off beautifully. is it really that cold over there?

Zara said...

Hehe "snitmonster"!! Great pattern; you gotta love those easy-sews!!

A Red Ham said...

The coat looks great. You do make clothes so well! I wish I could sew clothes that look good on me, rather than looking like some grade 5 mishap!

Marina said...

Lovely! I've been eyeing a few coat patterns lately due to the cold and as a new challenge since I've never had a go at one. What is the fabric that you used?

Karrie-Tree Designs said...

Love it Kate, can't wait to see it getting around school. Funny enough I just brought some wool fabric this week to make some sort of wrap.

Jo said...

Beautiful coat. And it's such a great fit considering it's just 4 pieces. Have you bought any patterns from Shop Onion? I'm thinking I'd love to buy a copy of this.

Craft to Do said...

Love the coat.I am going to Demark in a week or so, are there any must see in fabric shops. Sandra

Apples and Pears said...

lovely lovely lovely! Great colour too xx

Copper Patch said...

Gorgeous!
Coat is nice too ;o)
He he he

Nicky said...

Lovely coat and great colour! Buttons are great with it and I wouldn't know they were press studs really!

Unknown said...

Love the colour Kate. Done well!!

Now where did you say that you got that "Easy" pattern from, I need easy lol

Amanda