As I made my nephew Leo's quilt I saved all the little triangles that were cut off and not needed for a cushion. I have slowly been sewing them up and cutting them all to 2 1/2 inch squares. Yesterday I put them together in a zigzag pattern and made a cushion. I also added some piping around the edge which I love (expect to see more more cushions with piping). I followed this tutorial to do it. I saw it followed on from this tutorial on adding a zip to the back with a flap so I did that too. Both were easy to follow and I am really happy with the result.
I don't normally press my seams open, but I hate the bulk you get at seams with half square triangles so every seam in this cushion was pressed open. It did drive me insane at the time, but the top was lovely and flat and was easy to quilt and I think it was much easier to match the corners.