Thursday, August 28, 2014

10 Quilty Secrets

I am stuck on the couch under a sick and cross 1 year old today so I thought I would join in and share my 10 Quilty Secrets at 13 Spools. 
1. I love Liberty fabric, but only for clothes. This may change one day when I have a stack of scraps left over from clothes sewing.
2. I use thread from all sorts of brands, quite a bit of it is polyester because that's what I use for sewing bags, toys and clothes.
3. I don't love machine sewn binding and I really enjoy sewing it by hand.
4. I never thought I would love English Paper Piecing, but I am definitely a convert.
5. I admire what skilled long arm quilters can do (and after trying a long arm at Quilt Market I kind of do want one), but I don't like my quilting to be so dense and I really do love to quilt my own quilts and would love to encourage more people to try it.
6. If in doubt slightly wonky straight line quilting works a treat.
7. I have never used a seam ripper. I learnt to sew as a teenager and there was never one in my house, it wasn't until years later I learnt what they were. I use some little scissors when I need to unpick.
8. I think I was slightly overwhelmed seeing all the new fabric at Quilt Market, the only new quilt fabric to enter the house since I got back from my trip is a jelly roll for a specific project. Though I do have plans to buy some Kokka Irome when it is out. (I have bought fabric for clothes, but that stash it different from my quilting stash).
9. I have quite a few quilt books, but my favourites are op shop finds from the 70s and 80s, it you look past some of the colours and fabrics they are wonderfully inspiring.
10. Quilts are meant to be used. If I give you one and it gets worn though being used as a cubby, playmat, picnic rug, being thrown up on and repeatedly washed. I am more than happy to make you another one.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Sewing, Knitting, Sorting

I think I have settled on a background for my stars.
Trying to sort out my templates, they are a bit out of control. I can't wait to try out these new Marti Michell templates I bought at market, I have a few of her rulers and love them. It was great to buy some templates from her in person, she is so knowledgeable and helpful.
 I found this wall hook on Etsy. It is perfect for necklaces. Much less tangles now hopefully.
 I can't say I love corrugated ribbing, but I am enjoying seeing these little leaves emerge on my Bunty Mitts.

Monday, August 25, 2014

Snow Drops and Snap Peas Shawl

 I started this shawl when I went to the US in May, but I didn't have much time for relaxing and knitting. I am very envious of people who can knit while on a plane or in a car, but I get motion sickness just thinking about it. So most of this shawl was done in the last two weeks.
I would definitely recommend this pattern for travel knitting or for anyone looking for a simple shawl. The lace is easy to memorise and a lot of this shawl is just stocking stitch.
The rest of the details on Ravelry.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

That Pathwork Place Calendar 2015

Some lovely mail arrived at my place this week - the 2015 That Patchwork Place Calendar.
 I am very excited to have my That 70s Quilt from Strip Savvy featured!
 There are some fantastic quilts featured and the best part is all the instructions for them are in the back.

Martingale kindly sent me an extra copy which I am going to give away to an Australian reader (Australia Post has made international giveaways ridiculously expensive).
Sitting on the couch trying new techniques such as needle turn applique and English paper piecing has made me think about my favourite parts of sewing and quilting so all you have to do is leave a comment telling me your favourite part of quilting or sewing.
I'll draw a winner next Sunday 31st August.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Star #1

It worked and I quite enjoyed it!
Stars #2-#7 ready to sew.

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

English Paper Piecing

I figure with all this time on the couch I should try things I don't usually have time for like English paper piecing. It is always something I have admired, but never thought I would try, but Instagram is full of beautiful paper piecing and I finally caved a while ago and bought some supplies from Busy Fingers Patchwork.
I bought the book Liesels Sechsecken Technik after seeing it here in this great post.

It felt so good to put a new pile of fabric together.
 So far so good and quite fun! Now for the hand sewing.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Pop Spots Shawl

The first time I saw the Pop Spots Shawl pattern I knew I had to make it.  I had wanted to try Jamieson's Shetland Spindrift for ages and my Mum loves blue and green so I just had to choose which blue and green. This was not easy, they have an amazing range of colours to choose from. In the end I went for celtic and admiral navy and I used eesit for the spots.
I was a bit worried about following the instructions to make the spots, but there is a tutorial on the Loop blog and one on YouTube and it really is quite easy.
I loved knitting this pattern and loved the finished shawl. It's not often I really want to knit something twice, but I'd love to make myself a yellow and cream version. More details on ravelry.